Thursday, October 6, 2011

Avoiding the Void

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.         Isaiah 55:11


Being the mom of small ones, I often end up in the church nursery with them on Sunday mornings and evenings.  Our youngest group of children is blossoming, but is still small, and some days it's just me and my kids in the nursery.  We sit in services for as long as we can, and then we retreat to the nursery.  Our nursery is nice, stocked with lots of fun toys, a couple of rockers, and even some books.  Usually the kids have play time, and occasionally I'll read them a book.  A few times however instead of a children's book, I decided to open up my Bible and read to them while they are playing.  It sort of came to me one day, and so I did.  It was pressed upon me the words of Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

I realized that while they are small and may not have any understanding of what I am reading, one day they will.  And until they do, and even after, and forever on I have the promise given here that God's word will never return unto Him void.  So while they may not understand what I am reading, what I am reading is that powerful, that it is still blessing them and me as well. 


For awhile I have been struggling in my walk with the Lord.  I know I have faltered in the time I spend with Him reading His word and in prayer.  Sometimes I feel disconnected, even though I am still serving.  I have felt the burden of the Lord showing me that I really need to spend more time with Him.  So I purposed to make more of an effort in this area, but I didn't really know where to start.  I didn't have a particular subject area or study to begin with.  One morning God reminded me of the promise in Isaiah, the one I claimed over my children as I began reading to them in the nursery that day.  He reminded me to just read, whenever, wherever, that His word would accomplish His purposes in me even though I felt so disconnected, even though I didn't really know where to start.  All I needed to do was read, and His spirit would move and guide me.  His word will always be a blessing to me, and the more it is a part of my life in any aspect, the more blessings I will receive.  I praise God for this gift I have access to so freely and I pray I will only learn to appreciate it more and more, and never take it for granted.

No comments: